Diabetes and Your Hearing
As a patient with diabetes, you know that this condition can impact your cardiovascular health, kidney function and vision, but did you know that it can also impact your hearing? According to the National Institutes of Health, more than 40 percent of patients with diabetes suffer some degree of hearing loss.
What you need to know about your hearing and diabetes:
- High blood glucose levels from uncontrolled diabetes can damage the small blood vessels of the body.
- Hearing depends on small blood vessels and nerves in the inner ear.
- Research proves that damage to these vessels and nerves can diminish the ability to hear.
Take these steps today to help ensure your hearing health:
- Talk to your primary physician about regular hearing evaluation as part of your overall diabetes management plan
- Schedule a hearing evaluation each time you schedule your regular vision screening